Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sometimes it's the simple things

Well I am home from Disney World and filled with memories of rides and great meals, laughs and thoroughly enjoying the company. We played hard, ate amazing meals, rested and found total restoration.
Out of all the memories that will stick out in my mind though, there is one that I will retain that happened BEFORE we even got there. As a matter of fact, we were still in the air, when I found this moment of pure inspiration.
Upon confirming our flight, I moved our seats, for my son and myself, to an emergency isle. I found out that he could not sit there because of his age so we have to be moved - TO THE BACK OF THE PLANE. Now you know who is at the back of the plane don't you? Families with LOTS OF KIDS. Nice ones, cute ones, crying ones, demanding ones - Yikes. My son reminded me that it was all good and I should relax - so I did.
We sat in a seat next to this very young African American man from Newark traveling alone with his 9 month old boy. What a sweet opportunity to be with this baby and I even got to be in service to the dad and hold his son while he went to the rest room. So I guess sitting there was perfect.
But this wasn't what was so wonderful. Sitting across the isle and in front of us was a mixed race family with four children. When the lunch was served, they were only given four meals because they only paid for four seats. My son Seth who was witnessing this turned around and offered his food to the father of those children. Can you imagine that, a thirteen year old American boy, taking time to notice this and responding so beautifully? I was moved then and I am moved now. Sometimes I am in awe of my own son, not because he is mine but because he is so comfortable in his own skin.
I am so thankful to my spiritual community, the Science of Mind teaching and the Teen Group that he has been supported by. He is clearly a product of feeling safe and accepted as he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment