Friday, September 13, 2013

Syria

             Today I had the honor of offering the invocation at the Morris County Latino Chamber of Commerce. My sweet friend, Christina Martinez, President of the Chamber, wanted to change things up a bit from the traditional prayers, and snuck me in the door.  The event was just lovely, and I was thrilled to serve.

Sitting across from me was a beautiful Latina who has served in the military for the last twenty-three years. A recent mother of sixteen-month-old twins, she is a high-ranking medic, the highest rank for an enlisted member.

While sitting there watching her and how proudly she wore this uniform, I stopped to wonder what she and the other military color guard members there to present “the colors” (meaning the flag) would think about the time that we set aside last night to Sit for Syria as a Peace Practice.  Does being in the military mean that you want war? Would I have been offending her to tell her that we are treating to keep peace so no one else would have to be harmed?

Oh the thoughts that randomly come!

The truth is I don’t want to go to war. I don’t want to send one more daughter/son, young or old, off to war.  We know too much; we are no longer ignorant or asleep at the wheel. The world knows that we cannot “fight” war.  We cannot bomb to save. We cannot resist evil and expect good. The world is more awake than ever, and we are more cohesive now than at any time in history due to technology and the ability to affect change live-time with our smartphones.

I did thank the Major Sergeant for her service, and she thanked me for my invocation.  This felt like a moment of diversity in action: one who prepares for war embracing one who prays to prevent war. 

I am always grateful to have an opportunity to see through someone else’s eyes. Today was no exception.  For the moment, I will keep doing what I do. I know that she remains safe with her children and quietly appreciate the service that our military continues to provide until the time comes when they are all trained to be peacekeepers. Now that’s a liberating thought!

                      

1 comment:

  1. I also oppose the war but support our enlisted men and women.

    The irony is that those who enlist are often the same men and women who are neglected by this country's social or economic policies.

    ReplyDelete