Thursday, October 4, 2012

Finding Inspiration where it is!



Adversity is the state in which man most becomes acquainted with himself.
John Wooden, Basketball Coach



I discovered this quote in a most unlikely place, in the movie, "Battleship"; a conversation between two brothers, one accomplished and one a total screw up. The truth of it rang way too familiar to me and I wish that I could not relate to it but alas, I can. I believe that my life has been interesting and depending upon the angle on which you are standing, your opinion will vary greatly.


My life has covered a variety of ground because I have known deep love and total rejection. I have experienced success and very familiar failure. I have thought of myself as a good, loving and compassionate woman and as a complete bitch. I can forgive like Gandhi but also hold onto some deep anger and resentment. Yes, I have been all over the place.


So in the quote, “Adversity is the state in which man most becomes acquainted with himself”, I can't argue with the fact that it was at moments of loss, despair, grief and total humiliation that the finest of me showed up. It was in those moments of despair that I was forced to reach deeper inside for tools and truths that would "save" my life at the necessary moment. What a wonderful thing to know that this resource is available and generous with its offerings. And I am certain that for each of us, we will name this resource differently and that is okay. Because it is all good all the way around.


The question I am left with is why I sometimes wait for that moment, why do I delay in reaching into that bag of tools where I find my comfort, inspiration and additional skills? In order to answer this I have to suppose a number of things. I suppose that one of the main reasons is this: complacency. This is not unusual especially in the world of metaphysics. You see, we are told to be grateful for everything, everything, everything, to appreciate our world exactly as it is and accept our lives as they are. I have taught this myself. Here is the problem, being appreciative for what is, is NOT a replacement for focusing on deep desires to live life full out, in full color, fully expressed and in total joy.


In order to create balance between the spiritual practice of gratitude and acceptance of what is while allowing ourselves to feel the desire for a more exciting, richer, joy filled and expanded life, we have to keep the fire up on our desire. One of the ways that I have been remembering that fire is by participating in a mastermind group and now by taking a class instead of teaching it on Prosperity. This way I remain the student with the mind of a learner and while being in this class, I have to keep myself at attention. My attention is how I keep focus on my intention and my intention is to live a fully expressed life. 


I am already very loving, accepting, and compassionate. I am already generous and willing to serve my family, my community and human kind in general but what I want to do more of is to serve as a living breathing example of being a FULLY EXPRESSED, FULLY PROSPERED WOMAN. I want to serve as this example to my sons, my family and my spiritual community especially since the truth is that the more I prosper the more I share of my prosperity and that is good all around.


So yes, it may be adversity that pushes and prods me at times but I choose to remain awake and aware and reach inside to recognize the opportunities before I am run over by them. Won't you join me? Won't you allow yourself to want for more, to allow for more, for total freedom of expression?!

No comments:

Post a Comment