Monday, October 19, 2009

Be the teacher

Being a teacher - of sorts - must be what was always mine to do. I say this because it is probably the ONLY thing in my life that has come easy, that I have never felt intimidated by, that I didn't have to build up my confidence around and that I was fairly good at from the beginning. I know many teachers, all different in their approaches and all very good at what they do. I’m not trying to say that I am the best at what I do compared to anyone else, I’m simply saying that for me in my world, I am absolutely satisfied for what I bring to the classroom and for what my students receive from me.


I LOVE to teach. I love the mind of the new student and I love the mind of the more experienced student. BUT what I love most about teaching is how much I learn. My learning of any subject that I am currently teaching is quadrupled by the act of teaching it. By being the teacher, I must know my subject matter, I must be prepared. During the time of contemplating my subject and how I would like to bring the subject alive in my classroom, I get to live with the material, ponder it, apply it and often move more deeply into the lesson.


Teaching teaches the teacher. I remember reading somewhere many years ago that the best way to really learn something was to teach someone what you’ve just learned – a willing listener of course. The article said to teach the subject matter within 24 hours of hearing it and it would solidify itself in you. I have put this to practice and I do find it to be true.


Many of my most significant moments, realizations and self-discoveries have come while preparing for a class, workshop or Sunday Celebration. So here is what I have to say about this, if you really want to get a lesson deep inside of you be the TEACHER. Share what you’ve learned from your enthusiasm especially if it was life changing for you. It doesn’t have to be in the classroom, it simply can be a phone call with a friend. This way, you will always be the best student, because the material will take hold inside of you.


Enjoy. Teach.









No comments:

Post a Comment