Saturday, August 22, 2009

Old Slippers

What is it that makes spending time with old friends so delicious? I recently have had the opportunity to reconnect with some old friends through Face Book. And last night I got to spend some time with some of them, it was sweet, delicious, and so familiar just like slipping into a pair of old slippers.

The thing I love most about being with friends from childhood and high school years is that they "get me." They do, they get me. I'm not weird or outspoken or sassy with them. With them, I'm just Michelle and it is so nice to fit right in. Sometimes it feels like I have been a duck out of water for the past thirty years.

It is good to laugh with someone who has the same sense of humor and to whom you do not have to explain yourself. It's good to have shared memories - even if you wish to forget some of them. I even love the embarrassing stories, they keep me humble. I so appreciate Sandy Glick, an old high school bud, who started hooking us all up on Face Book. It has truly been a blast.

And yes, I do love my new friends. The good thing about new friends is that they make room for your growth and newness and see you now and not limited to who you were. Here's to friends in general old and new.

No comments:

Post a Comment