Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Faith in Action

I have three sons and this past weekend my 26 year old son, Keith, took my 13 year old son, Seth, for a four day, three night, hike along the Appalachian Trail. It was my job to drive them to the drop off point on Friday morning. So we traveled a little more then two hours north into New York State and "somewhere" along a dead end, dirt road, I let my two sons and the dog out and drove off waving good bye.

Well, as you can imagine thoughts of them came regularly throughout the weekend but the beauty of where I am in my life right now is that every time a thought came a long that felt a little like worry, I simply affirmed: they are guided, guarded and protected. (Thank you Dr. Karen Kushner for that verbiage) Each time that I returned to being more mindful, my practice of faith became stronger; and I became more confident in the Oneness of this glorious Universe.

Being a mother has been one of the biggest inspirations to date for me to "Be" the practice that I talk about by being in full application at all times. The application that I am referring to is my Faith that life is basically good and always in my favor. Early in motherhood we make the mistake of thinking that we are in charge; but once a level of spiritual maturity sets in we get in touch with the reality that control is an illusion. For those of us who have children that are old enough to move away from home we really get in touch with this illusion of control in a big way. There are numerous opportunities to discover that sometimes all you can do is pray and that my friends is what gets me through this life.

Thank God for my sons and the lessons that motherhood has brought. I am changed forever and this is a good thing.
Blessings,
Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,
    Your wisdom and beauty shine so strongly in this piece! I love what you say about mothering and the lessons it offers us.
    Will read more of your posts.
    All love to you always
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete