Thursday, December 10, 2009

I love TEENAGERS!@&%

I love teenagers. I do, I really do, I love my teenager. I love the mood swings, the dirty looks. I love that he really does always know more than I do. I love being there for him whenever I possibly can and changing my schedule to be in service to him, he’s my son after all. And then I love being able to practice non-attachment as he show’s me that I need to give without any strings. Of course I shouldn’t expect some extra cooperation or mutual support, that would be manipulative on my part – wouldn’t it.


If it wasn’t for having a teenager or even just being a mother to any age child, I might make the mistake and think that I actually deserved some FUN and FREE TIME. It is so good to have that little reminder living in my home to keep me straight. And god knows without being a mom, I might think too highly of myself as I attempt to embrace my role as Spiritual Director of an active, growing, vibrant community. Without being a mom, I might actually attempt to solidify more of my dreams and visions and who knows what would happen if I was able to embrace a greater experience of success. That would take time away from car pooling and shopping for that new shirt before a party or running out to get a gift for that party that I didn’t know was scheduled.

So I am grateful for my son keeping me grounded and available to a side of God and spiritual practice that can only be found as a single mom of a teenage boy. Yes, between this teenager and my other two sons, my skills for being authentic are always being honed and refined and just to think I don’t even have to pay for a therapist or a coach to enjoy the fruits of this task.

Have I earned my way into heaven YET? Love your kids because they make you strong and their love truly is fierce, even when it looks a little funky.






No comments:

Post a Comment