Thursday, July 9, 2009

Divine Appointments

I have found in my life that some of the most Divine Appointments that I’ve had, have nothing to do with the length of time that I connect with someone or even who that someone is. These profound moments last a few moments, a few months or can be captured in a glance. I’m sure that you have one or more of that kind friend that you hardly ever see but whenever you connect it is like no time passed.
A week ago I was walking in the small town of Lititz, PA and as I was getting out of my car I looked up to see a gentleman on a high ladder meticulously painting the trim on the outside of a chapel that belonged to one of the local Moravian Girls colleges. As I glanced up I said to him, “Wow, you’re a man on a mission.” You could see his caring from the ground. Well he turned to me with this huge smile and said, “Yes, yes I am.”
After going into the store that I was there to visit, we returned and spoke again at which time he came down off of his ladder to offer a tour of the inside of the chapel and the work that he had also completed inside. He was so proud and so humble, a truly beautiful being.
In the few moments that I spent with this sweet man whose name is Chris, time suspended itself and I was having a wonderfully “now” experience. It felt safe and raw and so authentic. We continued to converse and I did tell him that I am a minister and explained how much I appreciate seeing the inside of all churches. I have no doubt that we will both remember this short time and each other. Something happened in that time. Something changed; I was changed, enriched – not unlike falling in love but in love with Spirit that resides in him.
Thank you Chris, to who you are and your open heart.
So, I have one question: what was the quality that made this moment possible and how can it be replicated at will?

No comments:

Post a Comment