Sunday, October 31, 2010

A mother's reward

I love this “thing” that exists inside of me that will drive me to get out of bed - no matter how tired and exhausted I am - to put another blanket on my son when I think it is unusually cold. It is an impulse that seemingly has a life of its own with enough power to move me when I really don’t want to be moved.

I love how this “thing” that can be so innately motivating also has inherently within it, the most profound sense of satisfaction. There is a feeling that comes with a selfless action such as this that fills my soul.

The truth is, none of my three sons will ever know how often I have done this and a thousand other things for them, a thousand other actions, decisions that were made with them in mind, to care for my children and to complete this sacred contract that comes with being a mother. They will probably never thank me or even be able to appreciate the choices because it takes a particular point of view to be able to see these things and right at the time when they might be able to see and fully appreciate these things, they will probably at that time be fathers themselves, making these same kind of decisions, with their entire attention on their children.

It’s okay though. This is the natural order of things, the circle of life as they say and I am just thankful that I can experience that deep, moving feeling of satisfaction that comes with saying yes to life and the willingness to be responsible for another human being.

Oh, thank you Mom, thank you Dad. Thank you for caring for me especially with me being the last of seven. Thank you for hanging in there and honoring your sacred contract with me.

1 comment:

  1. Rev. Michelle:
    The imagery of a mother putting an extra blanket on her child is so lovely. And isn't that what we all continue to seek throughout our lives? The warmth and comfort that comes from someone who cares enough to get out of her bed to close the window on a chilly night or pull the blanket up around us? As the seventh child of nine, I too thank my mother; I remember her doing the same. And thanks Rev for all that you do so we can better understand how to say yes to life!

    ReplyDelete